Thursday, December 06, 2007

through the valley

Hi pals. (: Thanks for the tags. I'm very touched that there are so many people who are blessing me all the way. Haha. I really needed that. Sorry I didn't like blog or anything yesterday. The team reached at night and I was really knocked out. Haha.

I think God is really really awesome. This is my first mission trip and He has made it more than a normal impression for me. I learnt at least a single lesson everyday.

Day 1
First plane ride. I got the window seat and Sheila was sitting beside me. Didn't really know her well. But we clicked rather fast. It's like no generation gap or what when you are talking about God. Haha. So we got on talking alot about my life and how God has placed me in really good places to grow like NV. She believed that I was going to have an awesome year ahead. I believe so too. (: It was rather tiring. To reach Aceh, you have to take one ferry and two domestic planes. But I got rather used to the plane experience. Not the ear blocking. )= Haha.
We got to eat at seafood restaurant at night. The food was too great! Especially their kangkong with small padi that you can die eating. So I ate two bowls of rice to suppress the spiciness. I kinda regret now.. But the restaurant was pleasant. They have this eggplant juice that I tried and was really nice. Their starfruit juice was absolutely refreshing.
Aceh roads do not have traffic light. It was rather wild when we crossed roads. Wanhui and I were always left behind. Haha. And our wonderful Grace is safe by God's grace. She dropped her camcorder along the road, with dunno-how-many bikes approaching and she went to grab her camcorder barely away from the sides of the bike. I couldn't really process the scene. But the only weird thing about her is she wasn't even shocked. Cool.

Day 2
I had severe stomach problem that I wanted to lao sai badly. At first I didn't really think it was serious. Until almost every moment I just want to head to the toilet. Good thing it's controllable. So now you know why I regret eating the kangkong. But it was really nice lar. Haha. When I eat it I will think of my mother and grandma. (:
Anyway, we went in the morning to Pak Ali's church. It was such a new experience. We sang worship songs in Bahasa Indonesia. The people were very passionate about God. We got to know some people too like 'Superman' who is one year older. It's quite cool lor, he can speak Hokkien and Chinese. So at least communication barrier isn't so great. Then we went to the beach for picnic. It's quite nice and very breezy. It was great talking to little kids like this girl called Kristin. She always smile and I feel like pinching her cheeks. Haha.
Then two of the church members were getting baptised. It's quite cool cause' they baptised at the big pond that was created by the tsunami. For my church, we would usually do it indoors yeah. It felt like they were replaying the people in the Bible's baptising scene for us.
I also got to try out their toilet there. Which I felt really sad after going. Haha. The 'door' is a not so big metal plate that is half my size when I'm standing. And there are guys further outside. But good thing the girls helped me by guarding the door. Quite cool. Cause' I experienced true kampong toilet life.

Day 3
We headed for Layeun village and I was really not feeling well. Puked in the van not because of motion sickness but my stomach. But I really enjoyed the 75 humps along the way. It was really fun. Haha. =D
I had to stay back in the hut to rest while the rest headed for CP. This was probably the most mission life changing day. There was no electricity yet so it was quite humid in the room. I didn't know how to spend my day so I tried doing QT. Then I tried eating some fruit. But I puked right after. Went to sleep and woke up because some guy was singing outside the hut. I was quite scared. But the rattling of the metal roof because of the wind comforted me. For no reason, it was a reminder to me from God that I was not alone. He was and is still with me. And finally there was electricity which lasted for a while,so the fan came to my aid. Then the fan had to 'recharge' then again.. I tried calling home cause' I felt very homesick. I was either hesitating or there is no reception. Until when my mind got calmer and called. That was around the time when my mum, dad and her friend prayed together for me. It's like God really has a timing. My parents encouraged me alot. Mum told me to tell God I wasn't there to sleep but to work. Pak Dong called after that and asked if I was okay. It's like the timing was very smooth sailing. Haha. The people finally got back from CP work. I went to greet them and when Joe asked if I did pray for them, I felt kinda bad. This brought me to learning to care for others more.
At night during dinner, I still had that homesick feeling. Beatrice was a great comforter. When I was basically squatting outside the food stall and crying, she hugged me and showed me the stars, sang song for me. Haha. Thanks beatrice! (: I felt really really great also when Stacia talked to me later in the night and challenged me to asked God to let me experience His healing power. Thanks to instimewa (special) team especially leaders and friends who always encourage me and keep asking, ' are you feeling better?' You guys are really great!
Bathing time was very fun! We bathed in threes and the wind was so strong. So we were freezing. The well was sheltered so good thing it's quite clean. Drawing water from the well was quite ma-fan cause when we have soap in our hands, the other had to help us draw water. Joyce is really strong at doing that somehow. Yes, there is a door. =D Haha. We practised teamwork.
At night during debrief, we were sitting under the star-filled sky and there was a blackout which allow us to see more of the stars. I suppose you cant see stars in Singapore cause of road lamps. Haha. We saw shooting stars too! =D I had alot of first-times during this trip. When they were sharing, I felt like I was there with them during CP. There were alot of sad stories when they visited the homes. There were many who lost their homes and family members due to tsunami, some who have sad family stories. I felt very motivated when they said the people were fine with them praying in Jesus' name for the families.

Day 4
I got alot better and could go for everything that day. God's timing was just right cause it was the day that was packed with activities. =D
Rachel shared in her devotion this verse. Acts 2:2 "Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting." It got me to think about the rattling of the roofs the previous day. Also, the wind there was the kind that can send Joyce on the verge of flying away. Haha. (: We believe that God is pleased with us. I guess that was really an encounter that no one can deny that God was with us.
Went to the school and we sang songs with the kids. We then headed to play games and the sec4s were team leaders. I was a little worried cause of communication barrier. But I used gestures and they understood me. It was really great. Even though they didn't really played by rules (which doesn't matter), all of us had alot alot of fun. (:
After that was CP work and I felt quite great cause' I didn't miss out anything after all. I got to pray for the people too. (: We then got on to our christmas programme at their common hall. Helped to take shots of the people and some of the kids even requested to take photos with me. They were so sweet and I was really touched. They seemed so happy with the gifts. =D
At night we got to eat BBQ fish. One of which was really great. The stingray there was sweet! =D Some of us (mostly girls) then headed to buy drinks. The guys pushed the lorry. It was quite fun. Haha. We continued star gazing on the lorry. When we were heading back, we had to push the lorry ourselves. Very fun! =D

Day 5
Was full of travelling.

I will remember..
Sitting on the lorry and waving hellos and goodbyes to the people like we are stars.
Indo mee for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The well and Joyce, Clari and my harmonious singing performance in the toilet.
Worshipping under the stars
Our translators:
Nevi's motherly feeling and her great massages
Freddy's jokes
Augustina's warm smiles
The kids (:
The great wind!
Learning Bahasa Indonesia
God's great healing power

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home